Re: seperate swap drive, was Re: [ADMIN] Speed problem

From: Lincoln Spiteri <lincoln(dot)spiteri(at)st(dot)com>
To: "pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: seperate swap drive, was Re: [ADMIN] Speed problem
Date: 1998-11-05 08:47:54
Lists: pgsql-admin

> > I have a rather large database as well (> 2 Meg of tuples). I thought
> > my system was souped up enough: PII/400 MHz (100 MHz bus) 256 Meg SDRAM,
> > 18 Gig SCSI harddrive, Red Hat Linux 5.1. However, my swap space (512
> > Meg) is on the same harddrive as the database (albeit on a separate
> > partition). It sounds like you are saying that this is a no-no.

Hello,

Small question, doesn't linux only use around 128 Megs tops for swap
space? I thought I read this in a HOWTO somewhere.

Regards

Lincoln

STMicroelectronics

PS. Thanks everyone for your response to my previous question regarding
images from data. I went for gnuplot 6.3 beta which supports a gif
terminal using the GD library.