Speed problem

From: Roger Books <books(at)mail(dot)state(dot)fl(dot)us>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Speed problem
Date: 1998-11-03 21:22:50
Lists: pgsql-admin

I have a database that I need to pull the schema off of. When
I run pg_dump -s the machine rolls over and dies. To the tune
of I left it running over the weekend and still had 98% cpu
usage by postgress monday. I managed to do a 'delete from statistics'
and it accomplished this overnight, but when I then ran a vacuum to
actually remove the garbage it still hadn't finished after 48 hours.
Anyone have any suggestions? (Other than kicking myself for not
writing them down as I created them).

Site setup:

RH Linux 5.0
postgresSql 6.3.2