Re: BUG #17840: Failing to execute auto_explain for logging leads to transaction rollback.

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: bokanist(at)gmail(dot)com, pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #17840: Failing to execute auto_explain for logging leads to transaction rollback.
Date: 2023-03-15 22:06:25
Lists: pgsql-bugs

"David G. Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> A query you can execute should be incapable of failing if EXPLAIN for the
> same query is issued.

Indeed. This should be especially true for auto_explain, which isn't
even doing a re-parse or re-plan, but just dumping data from the
executor state tree for the just-finished query. Barring edge cases
like out-of-memory, it really shouldn't fail; so I see no reason why
we should consider major structural changes to make it (perhaps) less
likely to fail.

I continue to think that the most likely explanation is oracle_fdw
doing something it probably shouldn't be doing. I have no interest
in poking into that code myself, though.