Re: [HACKERS] Features list

From: "Thomas G(dot) Lockhart" <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
To: Bruce Momjian <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>, Postgres Documentation List <docs(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Features list
Date: 1998-10-24 05:40:50
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Attached is the up-to-date 6.4 features list.
> I will keep this up-to-date, until the final release.

Hi Bruce. I had converted all of the previous entries (v6.3 and before)
to sgml to allow inclusion in the Admin Guide. The conversion was really
easy in that I just laid the entire summary as you have it into a
<programlisting> markup block.

The nice thing is that we have a prose summary of the most visible or
important changes just above that, with full markup. If we could do the
same for your v6.4 list, then we can include it in the full docs and
also have the shorter plain-text version.

Take a look in the new html Admin Guide to see the results.

I'm starting on repackaging the ports and installation info from the
Admin Guide into a replacement for INSTALL. Included is an early sample
of the results for your comments and suggestions (there are a few things
which need to be fixed up). So for v6.4, plain-text INSTALL and HISTORY
should be able to be easily generated from sgml sources (I generate RTF
and then save as formatted text from ApplixWare, roughly the same way I
do the Postscript docs).

Do you know if install.sgml and INSTALL are in sync?

btw, a rough page count shows over 500 pages of docs for this upcoming
release, with some significant new stuff. That's not even counting the
~100 flat files elsewhere in the source tree :*O

- Tom

Attachment Content-Type Size
INSTALL.txt.2 text/plain 99.1 KB