Getting datatype before SELECT

From: Glenn Sullivan <glenn(dot)sullivan(at)nmr(dot)varian(dot)com>
To: pgsql-sql(at)hub(dot)org
Subject: Getting datatype before SELECT
Date: 1998-09-29 17:05:34
Lists: pgsql-sql

In my C code which communicates with the Postgres database,
I have the need to determine the datatype of a column, before
I have done a SELECT command. I have the name of the column,
but I cannot seem to figure out how to get the datatype information
until after I have done a SELECT. Then I can call PQfnumber() and
PQftype() to get the type. Does anyone know how to do this?

Thanks,

Glenn