Re: Multi-column index vs index on individual columns

From: Guyren Howe <guyren(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Pgsql-general General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Shantanu Shekhar <shekharshan(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Multi-column index vs index on individual columns
Date: 2020-12-26 22:15:36
Lists: pgsql-general

In a typical web storefront or catalog app, there are a fairly small number of queries that are run often that are more complex and slower. It is perfectly appropriate to consider creating compound/partial indexes to speed up those queries. Just be aware that indexes trade off slower insert/update time against faster search time. I would read use-the-index-luke.com for detailed advice about using compound and partial indexes effectively.