Re: Make printtup a bit faster

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: David Rowley <dgrowleyml(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Andy Fan <zhihuifan1213(at)163(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Make printtup a bit faster
Date: 2024-08-29 15:33:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers

David Rowley <dgrowleyml(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> [ redesign I/O function APIs ]
> I had planned to work on this for PG18, but I'd be happy for some
> assistance if you're willing.

I'm skeptical that such a thing will ever be practical. To avoid
breaking un-converted data types, all the call sites would have to
support both old and new APIs. To avoid breaking non-core callers,
all the I/O functions would have to support both old and new APIs.
That probably adds enough overhead to negate whatever benefit you'd
get.