Re: Need to find the no. of connections for a database

From: rob stone <floriparob(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "sivapostgres(at)yahoo(dot)com" <sivapostgres(at)yahoo(dot)com>, Postgresql General Group <pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Need to find the no. of connections for a database
Date: 2020-02-28 05:38:42
Lists: pgsql-general

Hello,

On Fri, 2020-02-28 at 01:10 +0000, sivapostgres(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote:
> Then clearly I've misunderstood what advisory lock could do. We
> used to put locks in SQL server to avoid deadlock situations. I
> thought advisory lock is a similar one. [ New to Postgres ]
>
> The report is arrived from around 10 tables out of 300 tables that
> are in the database. Once we start this process, we need to ensure
> that no other user could enter any data in those 10 tables, at least
> for the processing period. I thought the table lock [ those 10
> tables ] will ensure no entry.
>
> We have a menu like this in our application
>
> Purchase Entry
> Sales Entry
> Sales Cancellation
> Report
> Processing report
>
> When we enter the Processing report and click process, we need to
> ensure that no one could enter data from Purchase Entry, Sales Entry,
> Sales Cancellation, etc.

If the menu is built from a table in your database, then when
"Processing report" starts you could set a flag (boolean) against those
items so that if anybody tried to log-in or access those items, you
could simply display a message along the lines of "Processing report is
running. Please try again later".

When "Processing report" finishes, it just clears that flag.

HTH,
Rob