Re: pl/perl extension fails on Windows

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Muralikrishna Bandaru <muralikrishna(dot)bandaru(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pl/perl extension fails on Windows
Date: 2024-09-10 11:51:35
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On 2024-09-10 Tu 6:20 AM, Muralikrishna Bandaru wrote:
> Hi,
> I built PG17 rc1 using meson on Windows with the option
> "-Dplperl=enabled" . When I tried to create the extension,it crashed
> the database.
> --
> postgres=# create extension plperl;
>         This probably means the server terminated abnormally
>         before or while processing the request.
> The connection to the server was lost. Attempting reset: Succeeded.
>
> The log contains the following error.
>
> *src/pl/plperl/Util.c: loadable library and perl binaries are
> mismatched (got first handshake key 0000000012d00080, needed
> 0000000012c00080)*
> --
> This issue is seen with strawberry perl *5.40* not with *5.38* . The
> Perl that is used during compilation and on the target machine is the
> same.
>
> I have used strawberry perl 5.40 , which is available in the
> strawberry perl home page <https://strawberryperl.com/> ,but  5.40 is
> not available in the release page
> <https://strawberryperl.com/releases.html> . So, is it recommended to
> use  perl 5.40 ?
>
> Please let me know if you need any other information.

We've seen similar things before. See for example:

https://postgr.es/m/20211005004334.tgjmro4kuachwiuc@alap3.anarazel.de
https://postgr.es/m/c2da86a0-2906-744c-923d-16da6047875e@dunslane.net

This looks like we are defining something we should not be, or not
defining something we should be. We just need to find out what it is :-)

In the meantime, I would suggest sticking to 5.38.

cheers

andrew

--
Andrew Dunstan