Re: [HACKERS] index fix report

From: "Thomas G(dot) Lockhart" <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
To: David Hartwig <daveh(at)insightdist(dot)com>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] index fix report
Date: 1998-09-04 01:22:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Forgot to mention. I still have the problem also. Tom, what are
> you running on? Is platform still a factor in this problem?

Platform is a problem in that Bruce's FreeBSD/i686 machine does not show
the symptoms, but it's a pretty widespread problem beyond that afaik.
I'm running on Linux/i686. Tatsuo sees problems on Linux/PPC. Some Sparc
machines running Solaris and Linux apparently still show problems.

I'm guessing that it is a byte alignment difference in malloc behavior
between the systems which exposes misaligned structures on some
platforms. How's that for pure speculation, eh?

- Tom