Re: [HACKERS] Re: type coersion (was OR clause status)

From: "Thomas G(dot) Lockhart" <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
To: Bruce Momjian <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us, hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Re: type coersion (was OR clause status)
Date: 1998-08-13 14:30:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> > The first thing I want to try is to substitute the operator for
> > types which are known to be binary-compatible and do not have their
> > own index defined.

Got a start on it :)

regression=> explain select * from tenk1 where oid = 3000;
NOTICE: QUERY PLAN:

Index Scan using tenk1_oid on tenk1 (cost=2.05 size=1 width=148)

EXPLAIN

So far, I've just done the right-hand form (the one with the constant on
the rhs of the expression). The left-hand form should be easy now.

So, just curious: if we stop here, and only match up binary-compatible
built-in types with available indices, then what v6.3.2 features/good
behaviors are still missing?

- Tom

The example is from the regression test database with an extra btree
index built on the tenk1 table...

regression=> \d tenk1

Table = tenk1
+----------------------------------+----------------------------------+-------+