JDBC and DriverManager

From: Jeffrey Napolitano <jnapoli(at)setech(dot)com>
To: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: JDBC and DriverManager
Date: 1998-07-02 18:57:08
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Okay...the below code compiles fine, but when it runs, it throws the
SQLException at the DriverManager line (as you can see, everything below
is commented out). There is indeed a datasource "bugs", and PostgreSQL
is running on the local machine. There is no password needed to access
the database, and I can access "bugs" interactively with psql. Am I not
importing a package...?

I need help...am lost to why it throws the SQLException.

import java.util.*;
import java.io.*;
import java.sql.*;

public class HopeSprings {
String url = "jdbc:postgresql:bugs";
Connection con;
String createString;
createString = "create table STUFF " + "(NAME
varchar(30), " + "IDNUMBER int)";
Statement stmt;

try {
Class.forName("postgresql.Driver");
}
catch(ClassNotFoundException except) {
System.out.println("ClassNotFound: didn't
work");
}

try {
con = DriverManager.getConnection(url);
//stmt = con.createStatement();
//stmt.executeUpdate(createString);
//stmt.close();
//con.close();
}
catch(SQLException sqlexcept) {
System.out.println("The SQL Exception was
thrown");
}
} //End of main in JDBC_Connection class
} //End of JDBC_Connection class bracket