Re: Indexes mysteriously change to ON ONLY

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Rumpi Gravenstein <rgravens(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL <pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Indexes mysteriously change to ON ONLY
Date: 2023-01-27 20:53:34
Lists: pgsql-general

Rumpi Gravenstein <rgravens(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
>> We have recently discovered that on some of our partitioned tables indexes
>> that were created as:
>>
>> CREATE UNIQUE INDEX chapter_u01 USING btree (dur_uk, catalog_id)
>>
>> somehow changed to include the ON ONLY option:
>>
>> CREATE UNIQUE INDEX chapter_u01 *ON ONLY *chapter USING btree (dur_uk,
>> catalog_id)

What do you mean "somehow changed"? There is nothing in the system
catalogs that stores that exact string, so I suppose what you mean
is that some tool is presenting the indexes to you that way.

If that tool is pg_dump, this is its normal behavior. There will
be other commands in its output that build the rest of the
partitioned index set.