Re: I want tips for debugging deadlocks

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Fabrice Scemama <fabrices(at)ximmo(dot)ftd(dot)fr>
Cc: Hannu Krosing <hannu(at)tm(dot)ee>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: I want tips for debugging deadlocks
Date: 2000-10-04 16:08:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Fabrice Scemama <fabrices(at)ximmo(dot)ftd(dot)fr> writes:
> By the way, we finally understood that our main problem,
> the one that was making our Pg hang forever, comes from
> a deadlock problem. Same as Hannu's one.

> There are no deadlock detection, indeed. Good DBAs, or
> DBAs working with good coders, will never come across
> the problem :) but we did :(

The reason LockBuffer() has no deadlock detection is that it's not
supposed to be possible for a deadlock to occur there, user mistake
or no. So I consider this a bug --- either there is an actual logic
error somewhere, or else the supposition is wrong and we need to add
deadlock handling.

If you can describe what you were doing so that the behavior can be
reproduced, it'd be very helpful.