Re: [Pljava-dev] install_jar error

From: Chapman Flack <chap(at)anastigmatix(dot)net>
Subject: Re: [Pljava-dev] install_jar error
Date: 2017-05-30 14:27:57
Lists: pljava-dev

On 05/30/2017 09:39 AM, Achilleas Mantzios wrote:
> On 30/05/2017 08:27, Antonio Giuzio wrote:

>> WARNING: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError:
>> org/postgresql/pljava/internal/Backend
>> WARNING: Unable to load class org/postgresql/pljava/internal/Backend
>> using CLASSPATH '-Djava.class.path=/Users/antonio/Library/Application
>> Support/Postgres/var-9.5/pljava-pg9.5-x86_64-MacOSX-gpp.jar'
>> WARNING: failed to load initial PL/Java classes
>> HINT: The most common reason is that "pljava.classpath" needs to be
>> set, naming the proper "pljava.jar" file.
>> PLJAVA.CLASSPATH='/Users/antonio/Library/Application
>> Support/Postgres/var-9.5/pljava-pg9.5-x86_64-MacOSX-gpp.jar'

> In 1.6 the old pljava postgresql.conf settings were removed.
> pljava.libjvm_location is what you need and this should point to your
> libjvm shared object.
> What version of pljava do you use? Did you use the extension ?

It looks like he's using 1.5 (earlier releases didn't give such
error messages, and 1.6 isn't close to release yet, though 1.5.1
will be beta soon).

It also looks in this case as if libjvm_location is set correctly
(it wouldn't get this far if not). The messages are clearly about
an inability to load the Backend class using the setting of
pljava.classpath.

It looks to me like pljava.classpath is simply pointing at
the wrong jar file. Looking at the name, that's just the
self-extracting jar that you run to install PL/Java. That should
have installed the actual PL/Java runtime jar in the customary
place.

Also, pljava.classpath defaults to the customary place, so
it doesn't need to be set at all unless the files needed to be
installed some other place for some reason. Typically,
pljava.libjvm_location is the only thing that will need to be
set, as there is less cross-platform agreement on where that lives.

After a successful installation with
java -jar pljava-pg9.5-x86_64-MacOSX-gpp.jar
and making sure pljava.libjvm_location is correctly set,
a simple CREATE EXTENSION pljava; should work fine in PG 9.5.

There are also some troubleshooting ideas in the installation
instructions, http://tada.github.io/pljava/install/install.html

Cheers,
-Chap