bulk copy

From: "blackwater dev" <blackwaterdev(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: bulk copy
Date: 2008-01-15 17:18:18
Lists: pgsql-general

Hello all,

I'm pulling in a csv file nightly and need to pump in into my db. My plan
is to pump it into a temp table and then to an update or insert from the
temp table to the real table. I'm having an issue, however, with the copy.

Here is a my syntax.

COPY cars FROM 'cars04.txt'
USING DELIMITERS ',' WITH NULL AS '\null';

I'm getting there error: must be superuser to COPY to or from a file
HINT: Anyone can COPY to stdout or from stdin. psql's \copy command also
works for anyone. [4]

Ok, fair enough, in theory, I don't want to simply trust the file to have
clean data so will want to put the data into a huge array (php) which I can
clean and then pump into the db. What is the best way to pump all this data
in without doing inserts? How can I use stdin?

Thanks!

  • Re: bulk copy at 2008-01-15 17:43:05 from Martijn van Oosterhout