Re: [ecpg bug]: can not use single '*' in multi-line comment after c preprocessor directives

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Winter Loo" <winterloo(at)126(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [ecpg bug]: can not use single '*' in multi-line comment after c preprocessor directives
Date: 2024-09-26 19:04:58
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"Winter Loo" <winterloo(at)126(dot)com> writes:
> The following code fails to pass the ecpg compilation, although it is accepted by the gcc compiler.

Yeah ... an isolated "/" inside the comment doesn't work either.

> Confused! I am uncertain how to rectify the regex. I hope someone can address this bug.

I poked at this for awhile and concluded that we probably cannot make
it work with a single regexp for "cppline". The right thing would
involve an exclusive start condition for parsing a cppline, more or
less like the way that /* comments are parsed in the <xc> start
condition. This is kind of a lot of work compared to the value :-(.
Maybe somebody else would like to take a crack at it, but I can't
get excited enough about it.

There are other deficiencies too in ecpg's handling of these things,
like the fact that (I think) comments are mishandled in #include
directives.