Re: Do we need yet another IDE (SQL development assistant) for PostgreSQL?

From: Christophe Pettus <xof(at)thebuild(dot)com>
To: Dmitry Igrishin <dmitigr(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: theophilusx(at)gmail(dot)com, cjgunzel(at)gmail(dot)com, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Do we need yet another IDE (SQL development assistant) for PostgreSQL?
Date: 2018-07-15 23:15:03
Lists: pgsql-general

> On Jul 15, 2018, at 16:06, Dmitry Igrishin <dmitigr(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>
> The cross-platform GUI toolkit will be the challenge.
> This is why I've consider GUI for the Windows only. And if I'll not find an adequate GUI
> toolkit (at reasonable price and/or license), there is an option to make the GUI available
> on Windows only and provide the Linux version without a GUI (at least at the first time).

I'm not sure I quite understand an PostgreSQL IDE without a GUI. Isn't that psql, to a first approximation?

I'm also curious how you see this IDE comparing to, say, pgAdmin4. There's no reason we can't have multiple IDEs, of course, but when I think of an "integrated development environment," I think of something (along the lines of the JetBrains family) that handles the full stack, including debugging.

--
-- Christophe Pettus
xof(at)thebuild(dot)com