JDBC Driver -- getImportedKeys

From: "Candis Thomas" <cthomas(at)nubridges(dot)com>
To: "PostgreSQL JDBC List" <pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: JDBC Driver -- getImportedKeys
Date: 2003-01-07 19:16:20
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Hello all!,

I'm relatively new to the mailing list, but am indeed having a serious problem with a particular method when using the postgreSQL JDBC driver.

I am attempting to obtain metadata about the columns within a table, more specifically the primary and foreign keys within a table. Though the DataBaseMetaData method getPrimaryKeys() executes splendidly, I am getting errors when using the getImportedKeys() method. The code below attempts to determine whether or not a particular column is a foreign key.

The code that I am using is as follows:
rs = getMetaData().getImportedKeys(null, null, getTableName());
boolean keepLooking = false;
if(rs != null){
System.out.println("Resut not null, therefore there are imported keys");
while(rs.next() && keepLooking){
System.out.println("Inside 'rs.next()'");
//Check to see if a particular column is a foreign key
if(rs.getString("FKCOLUMN_NAME").equalsIgnoreCase(getColumnName())){
setForeignKey(true);
keepLooking = false;
}
}//end while
}//if result set isn't null

The errors that I receive are detailed below (note the listed drivers were added to my classpath):
postgreSQL driver 7.3.1 - java.lang.StringIndexOutOfBoundsException: String index out of range: -3
postgreSQL jdbc driver 7.3.0 (jdbc 3.0) - java.lang.StringIndexOutOfBoundsException: String index out of range: -3

I am attempting to retrieve information on the following table with the following columns:
APPLIANCE
Keyname Unique Primary Field
app_mac_address Yes No app_mac_address_net
app_mac_address_net_idx No No app_mac_address_net
appliance_company_id_idx No No company_id
appliance_pkey Yes Yes appliance_id

Does anyone have any ideas about what the problem could be? Is this the most recent combination of postgreSQL driver/postgreSQL jdbc driver that I should use? I'm really stumped by this issue and welcome any feedback that anyone may have.

Thanks!

Candis