Re: table inheritance versus column compression and storage settings

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter(at)eisentraut(dot)org>
Cc: Ashutosh Bapat <ashutosh(dot)bapat(dot)oss(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: table inheritance versus column compression and storage settings
Date: 2024-02-16 14:58:01
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Peter Eisentraut <peter(at)eisentraut(dot)org> writes:
> I have committed this. It is great to get this behavior fixed and also
> to get the internals more consistent. Thanks.

I find it surprising that the committed patch does not touch
pg_dump. Is it really true that pg_dump dumps situations with
differing compression/storage settings accurately already?

(Note that it proves little that the pg_upgrade test passes,
since if pg_dump were blind to the settings applicable to a
child table, the second dump would still be blind to them.)