Description field for tables and views

From: Kent Dorfman <kent(dot)dorfman766(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Description field for tables and views
Date: 2024-07-03 19:28:56
Lists: pgsql-general

I think I already know the answer but asking here is probably quicker
turnaround than researching it.

I've gotten into a "view bloat" scenario with many many custom views
that I cannot remember what they actually do.  Is there any psql
function/command to add a description field to a table or view
definition in the system?  Would be nice to have a one line general text
note capability to quickly see what a complicated view does when looking
at the defintion via
# \dv+

Looks like the command has the field present, but not sure how to
populate it.

am using PostgreSQL 13.xx in Debian.