Re: can we mark upper/lower/textlike functions leakproof?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, David Rowley <dgrowleyml(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: can we mark upper/lower/textlike functions leakproof?
Date: 2024-07-31 18:03:46
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> If there are some inputs that cause upper() and lower() to fail and
> others that do not, the functions aren't leakproof, because an
> attacker can extract information about values that they can't see by
> feeding those values into these functions and seeing whether they get
> a failure or not.

> [ rather exhaustive analysis redacted ]

> So in summary, I think upper() is ... pretty close to leakproof. But
> if ICU sometimes fails on certain strings, then it isn't. And if the
> multi-byte libc path can be made to fail reliably either with really
> long strings or with certain choices of the LC_CTYPE locale, then it
> isn't.

The problem here is that marking these functions leakproof is a
promise about a *whole bunch* of code, much of it not under our
control; worse, there's no reason to think all that code is stable.
A large fraction of it didn't even exist a few versions ago.

Even if we could convince ourselves that the possible issues Robert
mentions aren't real at the moment, I think marking these leakproof
is mighty risky. It's unlikely we'd remember to revisit the marking
the next time someone drops a bunch of new code in here.