Using pg_upgrade to change from 32 to 64 bit.

From: Paul Smith <paul(at)pscs(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: pgsql-admin(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Using pg_upgrade to change from 32 to 64 bit.
Date: 2021-03-11 10:34:42
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hi, we've been using 32 bit PostgreSQL 9.5 on Windows and are seeing how
we could upgrade to v13 64 bit.

As far as I can see from the documentation and other discussion on the
Internet, the only way to do this is to do a pg_dump and pg_restore,
which could take a while with a large database.

Just "for kicks" I decided to try to use pg_upgrade to do it (on a test
database).  The documentation seems to suggest that it won't work

"pg_upgradedoes its best to make sure the old and new clusters are
binary-compatible, e.g., by checking for compatible compile-time
settings, *including 32/64-bit binaries*."

To my surprise, it seemed to work absolutely fine. I can start the new
64 bit cluster, and a quick check shows everything working OK.

Is this to be expected? Was it a fluke? I'd expect it to refuse to work
rather than claim to work and give me a broken database.

--
Paul
Paul Smith Computer Services

--