Re: PostgreSQL Gotchas

From: Alex Turner <armtuk(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Aly S(dot)P Dharshi" <aly(dot)dharshi(at)telus(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL Gotchas
Date: 2005-10-06 18:30:53
Lists: pgsql-general

Compared to MySQL ditching referential integrity because of a typo, I would
consider these 'gotchas' extremely minor, hence the reason I use Postgresql
not MySQL. Postgresql does what you expect from an RDBMS system out of the
box in 99.99% of cases. I don't have to toggle things on special like, or
install additional modules, or check every time I create a foreign key that
the system will actualy enforce it.

In short Postgresql makes less work for a DBA than MySQL when you actualy
care about your data. It's cleaner, faster and easier to deal with in all
cases of real world database applications.

I'm not even gonna talk about the query planner in MySQL trying to deal with
an eight way join, let's just say that if you plan on using anything even
near third normal, MySQL will dog. Oh - yeah - and the fact that it doesn't
scale...

If those 'gotchas' are all one has against Postgresql... I don't know why
people are still even using Oracle or DB2 ;) MySQL you say, I thought we
were talking about RDBMSes here.

MySQL is to linux, what Jet is to Windows IMHO, oh wait - Jet has foreign
keys by default...

Alex