Re: gdb

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Ravi Kiran <ravi(dot)kolanpaka(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: gdb
Date: 2014-06-30 13:43:52
Lists: pgsql-novice

Ravi Kiran <ravi(dot)kolanpaka(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> how do we attach a gdb to a running postgres service in eclipse, I am
> executing a program in eclipse, I gave some break points in that, but the
> control goes to main.c and never comes back. how do we make sure that the
> query we execute logically touches the break points.

I think perhaps you attached to the wrong subprocess. I'm not an eclipse
user, but there are some hints here:

https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Working_with_Eclipse#Debugging_with_child_processes

If you're not too sure which child process is serving your session, try
doing "select pg_backend_pid();".