Re: BUG #18483: Segmentation fault in tests modules

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Alexander Lakhin <exclusion(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, a(dot)kozhemyakin(at)postgrespro(dot)ru, pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org, Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>, johncnaylorls(at)gmail(dot)com
Subject: Re: BUG #18483: Segmentation fault in tests modules
Date: 2024-06-08 15:07:23
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Alexander Lakhin <exclusion(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> May I ask you about the project policy regarding such test modules
> failures?
> Do you think all of these should be fixed or it's ok to have some
> server-crashing modules in the tree?

I don't think there's a one-size-fits-all policy for them. Since
we don't intend these modules to be installed, they don't really
need to work in any cases beyond the ones exercised in the tests.
Still, if it's easy to stop a misbehavior then we probably should.
The test_predtest problem was just a missing check-for-null so
I definitely regard that as worth fixing. These other ones would
have to be investigated enough to figure out the size of the fix
before I'd venture an opinion.