restrictions on pg_cancel_backend

From: Joe Carlson <jwcarlson(at)lbl(dot)gov>
To: pgeu-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: restrictions on pg_cancel_backend
Date: 2013-05-24 21:46:13
Lists: pgeu-general

A question: I'm working in 8.4 and do not have postgres superuser privileges. A few times when I have application code that generates a query that is running amuck (>24 hours run time) and I'd like to cancel it. Killing the application on the client machine does not cancel the query so I'd like to be able to use pg_cancel_backend to kill the query. But this is not possible if I'm not a postgres superuser.

I was wondering: is this by design? Is there a reason ordinary users cannot kill their own queries? Is is a security concern?

Just wondering.