Wiki editor request -

From: "Phillips,Robert V" <podengo(at)ufl(dot)edu>
To: "pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Wiki editor request -
Date: 2017-08-31 10:52:25
Lists: pgsql-www

I do not necessarily want to be an editor, but I think a clarification should be made on https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/First_steps

It says there to " First connect/login as root" and then it shows:

#su - postgres
$ psql

ISSUE: on RHEL 7.3, user postgres does not have psql in the path, and when, as user postgres I add a file ~/.bashrc with the line:

export PATH=/usr/pgsql-9.6/bin:$PATH

and relogin as posgtres, the command $ psql is still not found ( I guess redhat 7.3 ignores the ~/.bashrc file --- it is owned by postgress and I set it to mode 755 - and still it has no effect).

However, I must manually do that export command as user posgres in the shell, and only then will the command $psql work.

FYI,

Robert Phillips