Re: PostgreSQL does not compile on macOS SDK 15.0

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Aleksander Alekseev <aleksander(at)timescale(dot)com>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, Stan Hu <stanhu(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL does not compile on macOS SDK 15.0
Date: 2024-07-04 18:37:50
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> On Mon, Jul 1, 2024 at 2:06 PM Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>> Yeah. I'd do pg_regex_t in a minute except that it'd break existing
>> extensions using our facilities. However, your mention of macrology
>> stirred an idea: could we have our regex/regex.h intentionally
>> #include the system regex.h and then do
>> #define regex_t pg_regex_t
>> ?

> Good idea. Here's an attempt at that.

I think it might be cleaner to put the new #include and macro hacking
into regcustom.h, to show that it's our own hack and not part of the
"official" Spencer code. OTOH, we do have to touch regex.h anyway
to change the #include guards, and it's not like there are not any
other PG-isms in there. So I'm not 100% sold that that way would
be better --- what do you think?