Re: confusing checkpoint_flush_after / bgwriter_flush_after

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>
Cc: Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: confusing checkpoint_flush_after / bgwriter_flush_after
Date: 2016-11-25 23:39:13
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr> writes:
>>> What we do in some similar cases is put the burden on initdb to fill in
>>> the correct value by modifying postgresql.conf.sample appropriately.
>>> It seems like that could be done easily here too. And it'd be a
>>> back-patchable fix.

>> I haven't realized initdb can do that. I agree that would be the best
>> solution.

> Indeed.

> Maybe something like the following, or maybe it should include "bufmgr.h",
> not sure.

As-is this patch seems like a maintenance time bomb; it really needs to
use the #defines rather than have the values hard-wired in. However, just
including bufmgr.h in frontend code doesn't work, so I moved the #defines
to pg_config_manual.h, which seems like a more reasonable place for them
anyway.

Pushed with that and some other polishing.