Re: ERROR: unexpected chunk number 0 (expected 1) for toast value 76753264 in pg_toast_10920100

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Harry Ambrose <harry(dot)ambrose(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Achilleas Mantzios <achill(at)matrix(dot)gatewaynet(dot)com>, adsj(at)novozymes(dot)com, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: ERROR: unexpected chunk number 0 (expected 1) for toast value 76753264 in pg_toast_10920100
Date: 2017-06-13 13:44:54
Lists: pgsql-general

Harry Ambrose <harry(dot)ambrose(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> Not sure whether its relevant or not, however upon adding an ANALYSE before
> the second vacuum the issue has not presented when testing. I have managed
> 95 cycles thus far.

I'm still unable to reproduce :-( --- I ran about two dozen cycles
overnight with no sign of trouble. This time I was using a master/slave
pair with the test database in a non-default partition, so neither of
those aspects seem to be key after all.

I suspect the reason for it being so hard to reproduce is that there's
a timing window involved. But that doesn't offer much to go on in
terms of being able to make a more reproducible case.