Re: run pgindent on a regular basis / scripted manner

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Jelte Fennema <postgres(at)jeltef(dot)nl>, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, "shiy(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com" <shiy(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>, Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, Jesse Zhang <sbjesse(at)gmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Subject: Re: run pgindent on a regular basis / scripted manner
Date: 2023-10-19 01:29:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> It turns out that updating the in-tree typedefs.list would be very noisy. On
> my local linux system I get
> 1 file changed, 422 insertions(+), 1 deletion(-)
> On a mac mini I get
> 1 file changed, 351 insertions(+), 1 deletion(-)

That seems like it needs a considerably closer look. What exactly
is getting added/deleted?

> We could possibly address that by updating the in-tree typedefs.list a bit
> more aggressively. Sure looks like the source systems are on the older side.

Really? Per [1] we've currently got contributions from calliphoridae
which is Debian sid, crake which is Fedora 38, indri/sifaka which are
macOS Sonoma. Were you really expecting something newer, and if so what?

> But in the attached patch I've implemented this slightly differently. If the
> tooling to do so is available, the indent-* targets explained above,
> use/depend on src/tools/pgindent/typedefs.list.merged (in the build dir),
> which is the combination of a src/tools/pgindent/typedefs.list.local generated
> for the local binaries/libraries and the source tree
> src/tools/pgindent/typedefs.list.

Hmm ... that allows indenting your C files, but how do you get from that
to a non-noisy patch to commit to typedefs.list?

regards, tom lane

[1] https://buildfarm.postgresql.org/cgi-bin/typedefs.pl?show_list