Re: pltcl regress test?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: pltcl regress test?
Date: 2000-07-17 14:36:54
Lists: pgsql-hackers

JanWieck(at)t-online(dot)de (Jan Wieck) writes:
> [ pltcl's regress test is failing ]
> Seems to suffer due to some bug. The functions use a feature
> of the Tcl interpreter, who treates a backslash followed by a
> newline as a whitespace that doesn't start a new command
> (previous command is continued).

> I did some other tests and ISTM that it is totally impossible
> by now to insert data where backslash is followed by newline
> at all. At least I wasn't able to quote it properly. Maybe
> these are filtered already by psql?

Yes, it seems that psql's handling of backslashes has changed for the
worse.

In current sources, I type:

regression=# select 'abc \\
regression'# def';
?column?
-----------
abc
def
(1 row)

Running with -d2, the postmaster log shows:

DEBUG: StartTransactionCommand
DEBUG: query: select 'abc
def';
DEBUG: ProcessQuery
DEBUG: CommitTransactionCommand

psql has eaten the backslashes, even though they are within quotes.
This is not cool. 6.5.* psql did not do that, and current sources
don't either *unless* the backslashes are at the very end of a line.