Re: Commands linked to pg_wrapper not working with non-root users

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Jonathan Leroy - Inikup <jonathan(at)inikup(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Commands linked to pg_wrapper not working with non-root users
Date: 2018-04-11 22:19:57
Lists: pgsql-general

Jonathan Leroy - Inikup <jonathan(at)inikup(dot)com> writes:
> Here's my issue : when I'm logged as an user which is not root or
> postgresql, I can't use any of the commands linked to pg_wrapper:

> user1(at)server1:~ $ /usr/bin/psql --version
> Error: Invalid data directory

There's no error message with exactly that spelling in PG proper,
so it must be coming out of the wrapper script. At a guess, the
wrapper script thinks it should be able to examine the data directory,
but it can't because of restrictive file permissions. Why your
setup is triggering that when it works for other people, I can't say.