Re: DBD::Pg 'lo_read' fails on >= 32768 byte large objects

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Kevin Houle <kjh(at)cert(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: DBD::Pg 'lo_read' fails on >= 32768 byte large objects
Date: 2003-08-17 22:48:19
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Kevin Houle <kjh(at)cert(dot)org> writes:
>> One more data point. The DBD::Pg 'lo_extract' function works
>> fine across SSL. There is no issue with large objects >= 32K
>> using 'lo_extract'. So that casts doubt on it being an OpenSSL
>> issue.

No, it does not, because lo_export writes the data to a file on the
server side --- the data does not pass across the encrypted connection.
It still appears that there's an issue with moving a large chunk of
data across the link.

Whether this is OpenSSL's fault or libpq's is not clear. I'm prepared
to believe that we are not using SSL_read correctly, but if so, what
is the correct way? The OpenSSL docs are not very clear on how one
does asynchronous reads.