Re: Documentation on information_ schema columns that does not exist

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Clément Prévost <prevostclement(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Subject: Re: Documentation on information_ schema columns that does not exist
Date: 2015-05-31 21:54:44
Lists: pgsql-docs

=?UTF-8?B?Q2zDqW1lbnQgUHLDqXZvc3Q=?= <prevostclement(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> I found out that the following columns are documented (9.1->9.4) but not
> present in the information_schema table of my 9.4 instance (ubuntu):
> * information_schema.foreign_table_options.foreign_server_catalog
> * information_schema.foreign_table_options.foreign_server_name

Yeah, that does seem like a copy-and-pasteo; there should only be 5
columns in the view according to the SQL standard and our code.

Another problem in the same area is that the column types of
foreign_table_schema and foreign_table_name seem to be "name":

# \d *.foreign_table_options
View "information_schema.foreign_table_options"
Column | Type | Modifiers
foreign_table_catalog | information_schema.sql_identifier |
foreign_table_schema | name |
foreign_table_name | name |
option_name | information_schema.sql_identifier |
option_value | information_schema.character_data |

The documentation claims these should be sql_identifier, and that's
what I'd expect in a SQL-standard view ...