Re: Installing PostgreSQL on Oracle Solaris

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Igor Korot <ikorot01(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Ron <ronljohnsonjr(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Installing PostgreSQL on Oracle Solaris
Date: 2019-03-23 15:42:38
Lists: pgsql-general

Igor Korot <ikorot01(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:

> On Sat, Mar 23, 2019 at 9:25 AM Ron <ronljohnsonjr(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>> Off hand I would say the user you are running as does not have the permissions to unpack the tarball in the location you have selected.

> You mean even running as "sudo"?

In the above, the "sudo" raises the permissions of the bunzip2 program
(quite uselessly, AFAICS), while doing nothing for the tar program in
the other pipe step. Put the "sudo" in the other pipe step.

(This is assuming that unpacking straight into /usr is actually what
you want to do. I share the doubts of the other responders about
that being a wise procedure.)