Re: Checksums by default?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, Petr Jelinek <petr(dot)jelinek(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Checksums by default?
Date: 2017-01-21 18:04:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On 2017-01-21 12:46:05 -0500, Stephen Frost wrote:
>> Do you run with all defaults in those environments?

> Irrelevant - changing requires re-initdb'ing. That's unrealistic.

If you can't turn checksums *off* without re-initdb, that raises the
stakes for this enormously. But why is that so hard? Seems like if
you just stop checking them, you're done. I see that we have the
state recorded in pg_control, but surely we could teach some utility
or other to update that file while the postmaster is stopped.

I think a reasonable prerequisite before we even consider this change
is a patch to make it possible to turn off checksumming.