Re: pg_ctl status with nonexistent data directory

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_ctl status with nonexistent data directory
Date: 2014-03-07 03:43:01
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On Thu, Mar 6, 2014 at 12:17:55PM -0300, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
>> Bruce Momjian escribi:
>>> Technically, you are right, but I tried a while ago to assign meaningful
>>> values to all the exit locations and the community feedback I got was
>>> that we didn't want that.

>> That sounds odd. Do you have a link?

> Sure, the patch is here:
> http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/20130629025033.GI13790@momjian.us
> and the idea of keeping what we have is stated here:
> http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/51D1E482.5090602@gmx.net

Perhaps I shouldn't be putting words in Peter's mouth, but my reading of
his complaint was that he didn't think you'd mapped the pg_ctl failure
conditions to LSB status codes very well. That's not necessarily a vote
against the abstract idea of making it more LSB-compliant.

But it seems like we might have to go through it case-by-case to argue out
what's the right error code for each case ... and I'm not sure anybody
thinks it's worth that much effort.