Re: Separating application from data

From: NMB Webmaster <webmaster(at)nmb(dot)it>
To: Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Separating application from data
Date: 2004-06-01 10:02:26
Lists: pgsql-general

Sorry for CC to mailing list, I forgot!!

On 01/06/2004 11.35, Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com> wrote:
>Please CC: the mailing list too, other people might have something
>
>useful to say.
>
>NMB Webmaster wrote:
>> It is for backup purpose. I thought that in this way I could backup
>> only data and structure of all my databases from one machine without
>> backuping the application files that would be on another machine.
>
>The standard backup tool for PostgreSQL is pg_dump - this indeed
>just
>backs up the data. You should not rely on copying the files of a
>running
>database - that won't always work.

But I stop the postgres service before to copy all the files, then the database is not running. The problem is that I use a backup tool that backup data from my server (MySql and Postgres databases included) in that way (I know pg_dump, I used it before) and afterwards it transfers the backup file (a kind of tar file) via FTP on another machine. Of course I can schedule it. My idea was to increment the protection of my db data. What about the external storage arrays?

>> Moreover, if the application server crashes I do not miss my data.
>
>Ah - I think I see what you're trying to do. It's quite common to
>have
>e.g. Apache+PHP/JBoss/etc on one machine and PostgreSQL on another.
>All
>that's required is to turn the tcp connection option on in PostgreSQL
>
>and change the connect string in the application.
>
>Don't forget to update your pg_hba.conf to allow your application
>connect from the remote machine too.

I already tried it and it works perfectly.