Re: Removal of plaintext password type references

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi>
Cc: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>, Vaishnavi Prabakaran <vaishnaviprabakaran(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Removal of plaintext password type references
Date: 2017-05-10 13:01:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi> writes:
> Also note that changing the signature check_password_hook_type would
> break any external modules that use the hook. Removing
> PASSWORD_TYPE_PLAINTEXT will do that too, because any password hook
> function would use that constant (see e.g. contrib/passwordcheck). If we
> were to change the signature, I'd actually like to simplify it by
> removing the password_type parameter altogether. The hook function can
> call get_password_type() on the password itself to get the same
> information. But it's not worth changing the API and breaking external
> modules for that.

FWIW, I think we've never hesitated to change hook signatures across major
versions if there was a good reason for it. It seems actually rather
unlikely that an external module interested in check_password_hook would
not need to know about the SCRAM changes, so this case seems like it's
easily justifiable.