Re: Timezone information

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Dev Kumkar <devdas(dot)kumkar(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Timezone information
Date: 2014-02-19 15:01:52
Lists: pgsql-general

Dev Kumkar <devdas(dot)kumkar(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> How to set timezone in postgreSQL database to pick operating system level
> timezone information.

If you mean you would like to use Windows' timezone data, the answer is
you can't --- and you generally shouldn't want to, because AFAIK their
timezone data is pretty sucky: it's incomplete and not terribly accurate
about historical details. We use the IANA timezone database[1], which is
where those names like Asia/Calcutta come from.

Most modern operating systems use the IANA database for their system-level
timezone knowledge, but Windows is still in the dark ages last I heard.

regards, tom lane

[1] http://www.iana.org/time-zones