Re: BUG #18344: Pruning tables partitioned by bool range fails with invalid strategy

From: Alexander Lakhin <exclusion(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: David Rowley <dgrowleyml(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Amit Langote <amitlan(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>, pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #18344: Pruning tables partitioned by bool range fails with invalid strategy
Date: 2024-02-20 03:00:00
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Hello David,

19.02.2024 02:49, David Rowley wrote:

> Here's a more complete patch for this. I included some tests for LIST
> and RANGE partitioned tables. I did manual testing for HASH, and was
> on the fence about covering that too.

Thank you for the fix!

Beside that, I'm a bit confused by the opstrategy description for
get_matching_range_bounds().
Above that function we have:
 * 'opstrategy' if non-zero must be a btree strategy number.

But as we could see, zero opstrategy is not valid for the function (so
"if non-zero" is meaningless here?), unlike opstrategy for
get_matching_list_bounds(), which has the same description, but the latter
function contains:
    /* Special case handling of values coming from a <> operator clause. */
    if (opstrategy == InvalidStrategy)

Best regards,
Alexander