Re: Spam on the wiki

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Cc: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Kevin Grittner <kgrittn(at)gmail(dot)com>, Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>, pgsql-www <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Spam on the wiki
Date: 2015-12-17 15:11:37
Lists: pgsql-www

> So they break the captcha in seconds. I'm more and more thinking andres'
> idea that it's actually farmed out to people and not just bots...

Yeah, it's sounding a lot like manual creation of the accounts and then
bots doing the actual spamming.

> My suggestion is we make all edits on the wiki moderated, if that's at all
> possible. It's AFAIK the only service where we allow people to post things
> with no moderation on the content today, and clearly that's not working.

Sigh. That's pretty ugly, though maybe it will work if you can set it up
so that known members of the community can bypass the moderation. The
bulk of the legitimate edits probably come from a fairly small number of
people.