Re: Documentation for numeric/decimal type does not say that precision can be specified without scale

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: scott(dot)ure(at)caseware(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-docs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Documentation for numeric/decimal type does not say that precision can be specified without scale
Date: 2018-03-11 18:04:23
Lists: pgsql-docs

=?utf-8?q?PG_Doc_comments_form?= <noreply(at)postgresql(dot)org> writes:
> The documentation for the numeric/decimal type does not say that the
> precision parameter can be specified without specifying a scale, e.g.
> numeric(10) is valid.

Where are you looking exactly? What I see under 8.1.2 is

Both the maximum precision and the maximum scale of a numeric column
can be configured. To declare a column of type numeric use the syntax:

NUMERIC(precision, scale)

The precision must be positive, the scale zero or
positive. Alternatively:

NUMERIC(precision)

selects a scale of 0. Specifying:

NUMERIC

without any precision or scale creates a column in which numeric
values of any precision and scale can be stored, up to the
implementation limit on precision. A column of this kind will not
coerce input values to any particular scale, whereas numeric columns
with a declared scale will coerce input values to that scale. (The SQL
standard requires a default scale of 0, i.e., coercion to integer
precision. We find this a bit useless. If you're concerned about
portability, always specify the precision and scale explicitly.)