Re: BST Time Zone Discrepancy

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Igal (at) Lucee(dot)org" <igal(at)lucee(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BST Time Zone Discrepancy
Date: 2017-02-06 20:18:48
Lists: pgsql-general

"Igal @ Lucee.org" <igal(at)lucee(dot)org> writes:
> I've been having some issues with using BST as a timezone, so I checked
> the Postgres catalogs and found a discrepancy.
> But in pg_timezone_names I get an 11-hr offset with a completely
> different time zone.

> intranet=> SELECT * FROM pg_timezone_names WHERE abbrev='BST';
> name | abbrev | utc_offset | is_dst
> ----------------------------+--------+------------+--------
> Pacific/Bougainville | BST | 11:00:00 | f
> posix/Pacific/Bougainville | BST | 11:00:00 | f
> (2 rows)

pg_timezone_names shows the *current* abbreviation for the zone in
question, so right now I get:

regression=# select * from pg_timezone_names where name like '%London';
name | abbrev | utc_offset | is_dst
---------------------+--------+------------+--------
posix/Europe/London | GMT | 00:00:00 | f
Europe/London | GMT | 00:00:00 | f
(2 rows)

I don't see any particular problem here. If you write 'BST' in an input
value, it will be understood as GMT+1, as you're expecting.

This is controlled by the timezone_abbreviations file, which if
you haven't changed it lists:

# CONFLICT! BST is not unique
# Other timezones:
# - BST: Bougainville Standard Time (Papua New Guinea)
BST 3600 D # British Summer Time
# (Europe/London)