Re: Behavior change in PostgreSQL 14Beta3 or bug?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Laurenz Albe <laurenz(dot)albe(at)cybertec(dot)at>
Cc: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>, "Daniel Westermann (DWE)" <daniel(dot)westermann(at)dbi-services(dot)com>, "pgsql-generallists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Behavior change in PostgreSQL 14Beta3 or bug?
Date: 2021-09-06 15:59:49
Lists: pgsql-general

Laurenz Albe <laurenz(dot)albe(at)cybertec(dot)at> writes:
> It is not an incompatibility that warrants a mention in the release notes,
> but perhaps somthing in
> https://www.postgresql.org/docs/14/indexes-index-only-scans.html
> and/or
> https://www.postgresql.org/docs/14/routine-vacuuming.html#VACUUM-FOR-VISIBILITY-MAP
> could be added that recommends that people should consider frequent
> VACUUM with "index_cleanup = on" for best performance with index-only scans.

If enough pages would change their all-visible state to make a significant
difference in index-only scan performance, VACUUM should not be skipping
the cleanup. If it is, the threshold for that is too aggressive.

Assuming that that choice was made appropriately, I think the advice you
propose here will just cause people to waste lots of cycles on VACUUM
runs that have only marginal effects.