Re: pgdump slowness

From: Ron <ronljohnsonjr(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pgdump slowness
Date: 2019-09-12 15:52:48
Lists: pgsql-admin

On 9/12/19 10:35 AM, Dhandapani Shanmugam wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>
> We are having wired issue. pg_dump taking more time to backup 320 GB of
> table,the table has bytea data type with TOAST table associated it. Please
> let me know, if this is the expected behavior of pg_dump or do i need to
> tune any of the parameters. I tried to run pg_dump with parallel -j option
> , still no improvement and there is no lock on the table as well. any
> inputs are welcome

It took 16 hours to dump a 3TB v8.4 database that's full of bytea fields,
using the 9.6 pg_dump with 8 threads.  This was from one DC to another
*across a 10GB WAN link*.

Note that I *disabled compression* because the bytea fields contained
non-compressible images.  Thus, the dump size was 2.2x larger than the
actual database.

With compression enabled, the dump took a *lot* longer (though I didn't
record those numbers).

Ron