Re: Detailed release notes

From: "Euler Taveira" <euler(at)eulerto(dot)com>
To: "Robert Haas" <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Marcos Pegoraro" <marcos(at)f10(dot)com(dot)br>
Cc: "jian he" <jian(dot)universality(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Daniel Gustafsson" <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>, "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Detailed release notes
Date: 2024-08-06 15:02:59
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Aug 6, 2024, at 11:02 AM, Robert Haas wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 6, 2024 at 9:57 AM Marcos Pegoraro <marcos(at)f10(dot)com(dot)br> wrote:
> > Loved, except that the commit id does not help too much, so I don't think we need it.
> > I think a numbered link would be better.
>
> I think the commit ID is quite useful. If you're using git, you can do
> "git show $COMMITID". If you're using the web, you can go to
> https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/$COMMITID
>
> Big -1 for removing the commit ID.

Agree. Numbers mean nothing in this context. You are searching for detailed
information about the referred feature. A visual information (commit hash)
provides a context that you will find the source code modifications for that
feature.

Talking about the patch, do we want to rely on an external resource? I suggest
that we use a postgresql.org subdomain. It can point to

https://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=postgresql.git;a=commit;h=$COMMIT

or even better use a rewrite rule to define a user-friendly URL (and probably a
mechanism to hide the gitweb URL) like

https://www.postgresql.org/commit/da4017a694d

and the short version that we usually use for the mailing list.

https://postgr.es/c/da4017a694d

--
Euler Taveira
EDB https://www.enterprisedb.com/