Ident authentication failed for user - URGENT

From: "Marina Olhovsky" <olhovsky(at)mshri(dot)on(dot)ca>
To: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Ident authentication failed for user - URGENT
Date: 2006-12-05 02:59:53
Lists: pgsql-general

Hello,

I'm trying to assign a password for a postgres user. I've logged in as postgres, issued "alter user my_user with password 'my_passwd'". Doing "select * from pg_users" shows the new user with password assigned. However, when I try to start psql as the new user: "psql -U my_user -W" and enter my_passwd as password, I get "Ident authentication failed" error. Could someone please help ASAP? TIA.